Black Corduroy Rosari Skirt

Black Corduroy Rosari Skirt

SONY DSC

This is a project that’s been a long time coming, mainly because it’s been on my to-do list for over a year! I was inspired to make the Rosari skirt after falling in love with Lladybird’s mustard corduroy version years ago. The use of corduroy with the vintage a-line is exactly what I wanted to add to my closet. And a nice, bad-ass version in black would be perfect to wear to concerts. So I snatched up this black corduroy to fulfill my bad-to-the-bone skirt dreams.

The fabric is impeccable. This is made up of Kaufmann’s corduroy, and feels beautifully medium-to-heavyweight. Its plush and thick, unlike some corduroys that I’ve worked with from Joann’s whose pile crushes down immediately. I spent days vacuuming my house from the amount of lint it produced when cut, but it was totally worth it. I admit to sitting there, petting the corduroy while making this skirt!

SONY DSC

I enjoyed making this up. The pattern felt like it came together quite quickly. I used version A’s pockets and the midi length. The length ends up coming right to my knees, so the term midi is applied loosely. It kind of falls in an awkward spot on my frame, so in my next Rosari I’ll take it up an inch or two. Additionally, I probably won’t add the coin pocket to the pockets (not useful for the time it takes) and will extend the length of the pocket lining, mostly because I love deep pockets. I left out the belt loops on this version in the interest of time, but will probably make it up with belt loops in the future.

 

While the pattern calls for buttons, I’ve had a bit of an infatuation with snaps lately. I wanted something that felt as bad-ass as I wanted to feel in this skirt, so I hammered in some Dritz heavy duty snaps. It took some trial and error, but a combo of my awl and snip scissors made quick work of putting them in. And I felt much more secure in them lining up properly than buttons might allow! They definitely feel secure and I love the utilitarian feel they have. And, it’s a bonus that they jingle when they’re not secured. While adding the snaps, I might have stabbed my finger once with the awl… it just adds to the literal blood, sweat, and tears that go into making a garment though right?

I have some heavyweight red wool in my fabric stash, so maybe we’ll see another one of these once the seasons change again?

 

Advertisements

My First Archer, in Denim!

My First Archer, in Denim!

SONY DSC

I’ve had this pattern for a real long time, but I had bought it was a PDF and struggled to find a print shop in Des Moines that would print it off inexpensively for me! After calling about 6 different print shops, I found that Beeline and Blue was my best bet around here. Not sponsored or anything, just an FYI from my own personal struggles and research!

After seeing a million bloggers be over the moon about their Archers, I finally found the time to whip together my own. This one is made of a super lightweight denim from Fabric.com (can’t find the link for this anymore, sorry!) and has only been shorted by 1 in along the bodice and sleeves. I love the burrito method of finishing the yoke, and the easy to follow sew along helped take care of any worries I had if I was doing something wrong. I finished the button band with pearlized snaps, and I absolutely love them. There’s nothing as satisfying as hulking out of a shirt at the end of a day.

SONY DSC

At first, I thought this shirt was way too big on me and felt unflattering. But I was reaching for it more and more in my closet. Turns out, I adore it! The only changes I’ll make in the future are to narrow the sleeves and cuffs. Even with the pleats, they feel quite large. I’ll be grading them to be 2 sizes narrower at the wrists, which is apparently a common alteration because I’ve seen this same problem on many on other blogs. I also don’t know if the chest pocket is necessary for all make ups. It is conveniently sized to hold my phone perfectly, but doesn’t add a whole lot to the look of the shirt!

SONY DSC

Since I’ve been so slow to post this (it’s been months), this shirt has seen the trials of wear. I’ve noticed some fraying at the bottom of the button band, because my stitching didn’t quite hit the right spot. This is entirely my mistake, I trimmed that seam allowance when I really shouldn’t have. In my next make of this, I’m not trimming the button band seam allowance at all and will also be reinforcing it with iron on hem tape to ensure that my top stitching is clean and catches all the allowances my first run through.

All things considered, I’ve had to make some fit alterations. But the overall proportions of the collar size are great. I currently have another Archer cut out and ready to sew on my sewing table, so I can’t wait to see how my other alterations change it up!

SONY DSC